Event Date: November 18, 2016
Time: 5:30 - 9:00 p.m.
Feeling like a Night Owl? Join us for our special November ‘Corkscrew After Hours’ event: ”Give a Hoot!”
Sunset at 5:35 pm
Moon Phase: Waning Gibbous (4 days after full moon) we will have a dark night sky for our program which will be great for stargazing, (moonrise will not be until 10:00 p.m. -after our program is over) *
- Enjoy live music and exhibits in the Blair Audubon Visitor Center.
- Shop for unique and beautiful gifts in the Nature Store.
- Eat, drink and enjoy art exhibits in the Gallery Cafe.
- Experience the boardwalk in the evening light and participate in educational programs, interpretive exhibits, and guided walks. See the schedule below.
5:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- Meet Lisa Trebilcock, local children book author. Lisa will have her books available for signing, including "E if for Everglades."
5:30 pm to 9:00 pm
- Explore the boardwalk on your own under the stars and listen to the many sounds at night. Our boardwalk volunteer naturalists will be out there to help you out.
5:30 pm to 7:30 pm
- Live Music in the Blair Audubon Visitor Center: Enjoy the music of "The Human Juke Box" John Lowbridge as he performs hits from the 60's to the 80's.
5:45 pm to 6:45 pm
- Presentation in the Blair Center Classroom: By Dr. Jerry Jackson "The Adaptations and Secret Lives of Florida Owls"
6:00 - 8:30 pm – Interpretive stations on the Boardwalk
- Owl Interpretive Station (at the first bench in the wet prairie) Visit this fun and informative station and learn about owls and their adaptations with a Corkscrew Naturalist.
- Night Vision Adaptation Stations (At the wildlife crossing 6 - 8:30pm, and at the bench area in the pond cypress area on the exit trail 7 - 8:30pm) At the first station (wildlife crossing) Learn about night vision adaptions that help to enable many nocturnal animals to thrive at night. Learn a few things about human night vision also! From 7pm until 8:30pm, there will be a night vision experiment at the last station at the bench on the exit trail that you can try after you have walked most of the boardwalk. Then enjoy the dark night sky tonight for star gazing as you cross the wet prairie back to the visitor center!
7:00 - 7:30 pm Sign up to take a naturalist guided walk which will begin at various times within this time frame. Visitors can sign up in the center for these when ythey arrive. Space is limited.
Adult admission is $14 per person. Admission is $10 for Audubon Members and $6 for college students with ID. Admission is good for 2 consecutive days, so come back and enjoy the boardwalk in the daylight hours on Saturday also. As always, Friends of Corkscrew Members enjoy free admission.
Kids are admitted free with their parents to this event! (Parent admission fees vary as outlined above, and their children up to 18 years are free)
* Please Note: Since there will be no moon tonight you may want to bring and use a flashlight. If you do choose to bring one it is best to use only a red-light flashlight. If you do not have a red light flashlight, please ask at our admissions desk when you arrive for some red cellophane and a rubber band to cover up the lens of your white light flashlights. Otherwise using white light will mess up yours and other visitor's night vision while on the boardwalk.