Come join us for our March 29, 2019 After Hours event: Corkscrew's History, Celebrating 65 years! This night we are privileged to have as our speaker Ed Carlson, Director Emeritus of Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary. Guests can also enjoy live music in the center, learn more about Corkscrew at our interpretive exhibits, and plan time to enjoy a night stroll through Corkscrew's ancient cypress forest on our boardwalk.
Sunset at 7:41 p.m.
Moon Phase: One day after the last quarter moon. The moon will not be visible this evening, which should allow for great stargazing once the sun sets.
- Enjoy live music in the Blair Audubon Visitor Center. 6 to 8 p.m.
- Shop for unique and beautiful items in the Nature Store.
- Eat, drink and enjoy art exhibits in the Gallery Cafe.
- Experience the boardwalk in the evening light and participate in educational programs. See the schedule below.
5:30 to 9 p.m. – Explore the boardwalk on your own under the stars and listen to the many sounds at night.
5:30 to 6:30 p.m. – Classroom Presentation: "Corkscrew's History, Ramblings of an Old Warden" presented by Ed Carlson, Director Emeritus of Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary. Ed Carlson is by far the longest serving Manager/Director in Corkscrew's history, and he has been associated with Corkscrew for 51 years since 1968. His vision and guidance have shaped the Sanctuary, our staff and volunteers, and conservation efforts all over our area. He has so many great stories to share.
6:30 to 8:30 p.m. - Enjoy interpretive learning stations which will be positioned in various places in the center and along the short loop of the boardwalk. stations will include: one on our history, our old growth forest and other habitats, aquatic critters, and there will be telescopes courtesy AstronomyGal.com to view and learn about the night sky!
6 to 8 p.m. - Enjoy Live Music in the Visitor Center - Kindred Spirit
Last admission is at 8 p.m. Adult admission is $14 per person. Admission is $10 for Audubon Members and $6 for college students with ID. Admission is good for two consecutive days, so come back and enjoy the boardwalk in the daylight hours on Saturday also. As always, Friends of Corkscrew Members enjoy free admission. *Children are admitted free with their parents to this event! (Parent admission fees vary as outlined above, and their children up to 18 years are free)
* Please Note: It will be one day after the last quarter moon, the moon will not rise until after our program is over. The sun does not set until 7:41 p.m. For most people flashlights are not necessary, if you keep them turned off your eyes will naturally adjust to the darkness. If you do choose to bring a flashlight please only use a red-light flashlight. If you do not have a red light flashlight, please ask at our admissions desk when you arrive for some red cellophane and a rubber band to cover up the lens of your white light flashlights. Otherwise using white light will ruin yours and other visitor's night vision while on the boardwalk.