Event Date: March 6, 2020
Time: 5:30 - 9:00 p.m.
Join us for our special March ‘Corkscrew After Hours’ event: Bats of North America
Sunset at 6:30 pm
Moon Phase: Waxing Gibbous (3 days before the full moon), we should have a fairly bright night sky.
- Enjoy live music and exhibits in the Blair Audubon Visitor Center.
- Shop for unique and beautiful gifts in the Nature Store.
- Eat, drink and enjoy art exhibits in the Gallery Cafe.
- Experience the boardwalk in the evening light and participate in educational programs. See the schedule below.
5:30 pm to 9:00 pm Explore the boardwalk on your own under the stars and listen to the many sounds at night. Our boardwalk naturalists will be out there to help you.
6:00 pm to 7:00 pm Presentation in Corkscrew's Blair Center Classroom - Bats of North America
As most of us are unwinding, our bats of North America are just starting to wake up. Bats are essential to ecosystem health, and North America is home to a diverse variety of bat species. Come out to our March 6th After Hours and learn more about general batty facts and the wide range of bat species found in North America from Allyson Webb, National Audubon's Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary's Senior Resource Manager and bat enthusiast.
6:30 pm to 8:30 pm Live Music in Corkscrew's Blair Audubon Center
- Enjoy the fun bluegrass and folk music of Tad and the Tadpoles!
6:30 pm to 9:00 pm Interpretive Stations
- Visit our Critter Station in our visitor center
- Rick Piper and Jackie Richards with the Everglades Astronomical Society will have their telescopes set up near the sightings board at the beginning of the boardwalk for moon and star gazing.
- Corkscrew Volunteer Educators and moth enthusiasts Clare Holden and Lane Henderson, will have a moth station set up at the Wildlife Crossing on the beginning part of the boardwalk
Adult admission is $14 per person. Admission is $10 for Audubon Members and $6 for college students with ID. Admission is good for 2 consecutive days, so come back and enjoy the boardwalk in the daylight hours on Saturday also. As always, Friends of Corkscrew Members enjoy free admission.
Kids are admitted free with their parents to this event! (Parent admission fees vary as outlined above, and their children up to 18 years are free)
* Please Note: The moon will be fairly bright and almost full tonight. If you choose to bring a flashlight it is best to use only a red-light flashlight. If you do not have a red light flashlight, please ask at our admissions desk when you arrive for some red cellophane and a rubber band to cover up the lens of your white light flashlights. Otherwise using white light will disturb yours and other visitor's night vision while on the boardwalk.